Music Standards from the 20s to the early 50s



Music Standards from the 20s to the early 50s

I am a broadcast communication major at North Central and I deejay on WONC. From Sunday, 12 to 3 p.m., I host Sunday Standards, featuring music from the 20s to the 50s. The two major influences for the love of that type of music was from CDs like this and traveling to and from Wisconsin with my grandmother listening to satellite radio. It's probably my favorite thing I've done for radio, as there is a reason this music is called standards. They're timeless, regarded as legendary music that has influenced too many artists to mention. Rod Stewart released an excellent five album series covering this type of music, The Great American Songbook series. His voice is perfect for singing those songs, and I highly recommend you pick up some of these if you like this kind of music. He's not the only artist to do so. Bob Dylan released Triplicate in March of last year. Steve Tyrell has built his career on such albums. Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett(!) did a collaboration in 2014 called Cheek to Cheek. I could keep going on and on about artists who've recorded versions of these songs, but I think you get the point.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Media And Terror Attacks (New Media)

Writing (Badly) In The Past

Poem For and Inspired by Emily