Modding Near Midnight

Modding Near Midnight

I'm a big fan of mods for games. I like them because of the added content that expands on the base game. I understand the dev process is a long one. It takes time to code, create models, record voice lines, etc. Eventually people playing will run out of stuff to do, and they need more stuff to keep them engaged. Game devs solve this in many ways such as adding DLC, releasing expansion packs, new game modes, etc. The easiest way to keep interest for a game going even after support has stopped is to allow people to modify/add content. 

If a gamer reads about a mod that adds content they like to a game they haven't played, or may not have had an interest in playing, they may be more likely to pick up a copy of the game. Sometimes a game may have been released broken, or it isn't able to run on newer OSs. Modding can help fix both of those. Emulating is also another option for the second part, one of the most well known being DOSbox, but that's for some other day.

I don't have any more than the most basic modding experience. I haven't created any models, edited AI behavior, created animations/textures, etc. Most of the games that I have modified use the extensible Markup Language, or XML. Eventually, I hope to better familiarize myself with coding, textures, models, etc to start doing more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Media And Terror Attacks (New Media)

Writing (Badly) In The Past

Poem For and Inspired by Emily